In civil engineering

Civil Engineering | Survey Camp At Kem MSN Saujana Asahan, Melaka

brown nipa hut near body of water
Assalamualaikum and welcome to Jellove!

I have been wanting to share my experiences when I went to the survey camp for a very long time ago. It was the last field trip for degree and I was super excited. The pre-requisite subject that the student needs to take before attend this survey camp is Geomatics Engineering. In my case, since I was a diploma student, I didn't have to take this subject anymore for a degree. So, my skills in surveying have rusted and need to be polished. But, since I revised by reading the notes and do some calculations.  The camp was held for 10 days, and there were 4 sessions with a different date.

//Topics and instruments that used throughout survey camp
  1. Levelling/Two-Peg Test (Staff, bubble, measuring tape and  electronic level, tripod)
  2. Traverse (tripod, prism, total station, measuring tape, nails and picket)
  3. Tachymetry (tripod, prism, total station, nails and picket)
  4. Setting Out (tripod, prism, total station, measuring tape, nails and picket)

Thank god that I don't forget to bring along my calculator, notebook, laptop, and a copy of lecture notes because I might have some difficulties if I forget to bring these. A laptop still needed although the report needs to be done by using handwriting because it was needed to process the data by using SDR Mapping and AutoCAD. 

//Other important stuff that I brought
  1. Medicine (fever, flu, pain reliever, allergy, etc)
  2. Skincare (sunblock, moisturizer, face wash, etc)
  3. Sanitary pad
  4. Mineral water and food (Instant noodles, bread, and biscuits)
  5. Iron and water boiler
  6. Shampoo, body wash, toothpaste, toothbrush and powder/liquid detergent

When I was at the survey camp, I always feel so hungry since we were working for the whole day. We ate at the dining hall and the food served as a buffet. So, you know what comes next. Always be prepared. Other than that, to save space for my bag, I brought just a few clothes and wash the clothes every day. So, I don't have so many dirty clothes at the end of the survey camp.

I choose session 4 (the last session) and it was the best. All the students were separated by a group of 5 or 6 students. It was fun although it was tiring and exhausting at the moment because I had to carry heavy instruments every day.


This was my every day's view. I was so lucky because my group was placed near the lake with the mountain view. The sunrise and sunset were so breathtaking. But, near my working area, there were no trees to keep myself away from the sunlight. It was hella hot at noon.

I was posing with the instruments which are Total Station and Prism.

The girls' squad.

My group members doing Two-Peg Test

Little that I know that this fire camp would be an obstacle to do Setting Out 😂

My friends and I

Hiking to Gunung Ledang's waterfall to do some charity work

After I went back to UTHM, I was so determined to do something related to Surveying for my Final Year Project. Dream comes true! hahaha! So this was my experience in Survey Camp. How about you? Do you have any camp for your course while studying at university?

- Nana

Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers